Studies show that specialized rehabilitation centers can help to accelerate recovery from an
injury or illness and return patients home sooner.
At SSM Rehabilitation Hospital, we know there's no place like home, especially after
a serious injury, illness or surgery. That's why SSM Homeward Bound offers a network of
specialized rehabilitation centers focused entirely on helping individuals recover from
injury and illness and return home as quickly as possible.
Designed around the needs of patients, SSM Homeward Bound serves individuals who either
do not need or do not qualify for inpatient hospital rehabilitation, but are not quite
ready to return home. At specialized rehabilitation centers located throughout the St. Louis
region, SSM Homeward Bound gives patients convenient access to the focused rehabilitation services
and nursing care they need to get back home, where they want to be.
By partnering with other health care facilities with a proven commitment to quality, patients have access to the specialized services of a skilled nursing facility, while
experiencing a unique combination of goal-oriented rehabilitation and medical care. SSM Homeward Bound offers care in a dedicated rehabilitation center with physically distinct entrances, dining rooms and common areas, as well as specialized therapy staff and medical supervision.
Individuals who are progressing in their rehabilitation can benefit from this program, including those who:
- Require 24-hour nursing care.
- Can benefit from intensive physical rehabilitation; any combination of physical, occupational and speech therapy.
- Do not meet criteria/qualify for inpatient (hospital) rehabilitation, but are not yet able to return home.
- Are motivated to participate in a goal-oriented, limited-term rehabilitation program.
- Are recovering from a serious illness, injury or surgery, including: joint replacement (hip or knee), stroke and neurological conditions, spinal cord injury, brain injury, and general debility or weakness from disease or injury.
Advantages of SSM Rehabilitation Hospital Homeward Bound
- Services are available at dedicated rehabilitation centers located in selected nursing facilities throughout the St. Louis area, and provide 24-hour nursing care.
- A physician who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation directs the individual's care and treatment which is provided by dedicated therapy staff.
- Therapy is goal-oriented and the techniques and strategies are reinforced in all daily activities.
- The program allows for a seamless transition to outpatient or home-based therapy upon discharge, if needed.
- The program provides an essential next step in an individual's recovery process.
Accessing Our Services
SSM Homeward Bound is part of an integrated network of rehabilitation services offered
by SSM Rehabilitation Hospital, the premier rehabilitation services provider in the St. Louis
region. This means we offer convenient access to the right level of care for every
rehabilitation need. We match you with the program that best fits your specific needs,
and coordinate your care throughout your recovery. When your needs change, we help you
navigate the rehabilitation continuum and seamlessly transition to the next level of care.
To make a referral for a patient or for more information about SSM Rehabilitation Hospital Homeward
Bound, contact SSM Rehabilitation Hospital at (314) 768-5300.
Homeward Bound Brochure